Monday, August 3, 2009

My Lucky number 11...IMing

I have registered with the Meebo.com IM service. My user name is:
swiftees.
This service includes my yahoo and facebook account info, so that I am able to chat with the folks on those sites also.
I don't use chat very often in my personal life, I used to, but in the past few years I have just not had time for that. Occasionally I will speak to old friends via the facebook chat service, but it's not a form of communication that I utilize very often.

Here at work we use the meebo IMing service to provide reference assistance. After a brief slow start, the popularity and use of our IMing service has really grown to be very popular and we have been able to use it to answer questions of all types.We offer this service from 8am-midnight each week night, except Fridays when we close at 8pm. We still cover some Question Point service points, but we have taken most of it away and replaced it with Meebo chat/IMing service. I love doing reference in IM because I can push them the pages I am looking at, they enjoy that and it makes things easier for me.
Admittedly, for some users it does make more sense to ask them to call us, and usually they are glad to do so. That is often for the in-depth answers, or responses where there is a long answering process.

I don't mind at all doing reference via chat, or IMing, but I prefer not to communicate with friends that way very often...for no other reason than I am a tad lazy and spoiled on text messaging. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment