Friday, August 14, 2009

That Libworm Thing

If I am being very honest, this might be my least favorite "thing" so far. I did the searches assigned, some things of interest to me in the library world, and then the name of my library. Some fairly interesting things came up, but none so riveting and useful that I would go back and use it again, unless of course when it is out of the beta stage it goes on to do and contain bigger and better things.

Given that it is still in Beta I will take that into consideration. The layout was dull and where the searches did result in some interesting reading and articles, it seemed to be things I had seen, or could find, elsewhere.

Example: I did a search for twitter. To see if I could get some information on how libraries are utilizing Twitter in their services. One of the results I retrieved, and that I was aware of, BUT could have gone without being reminded of again, is how congressmen, while in session, are tweeting about what they are doing. That may be exciting to people working over at Twitter, but to me it was like announcing that high school kids are tweeting about what they do all day in school. We know what they do, we know what they SHOULD be doing, but do they really need to be preoccupying themselves by tweeting about very important decisions and ideas that will one day affect us all while they are in the process of making the decisions??? I will just go out on a virtual limb here and say a big no!

I followed many other links off libworm, and unlike the rest of the 23 things I never thought to myself "I can use this." Or I will return to read this in it's entirity. I think, even though this is a library-based website, that I find more interesting reading vvia delicious, even on many library-related topics. No, I am not searching cataloging or anything that library specific. But the things I did search wasn't that interesting.

I also search the name of my library. There were 3 results. 2 job descriptions that Ihad been posted out somewhere and one result of our Science & Engineering Library. Given that our library has been doing some very exciting things this past year, I found these results to be disappointing as well.

Again, I will cut libraryworm some slack since it is in beta, but don't think I will be revisiting the site anytime soon if I was to be very honest...and I always am!

No comments:

Post a Comment