Monday, August 10, 2009

That Twitter Thing

I had a Twitter account prior to this "thing", I actually set it up months ago, and have used it a few times. When events occur that EVERYONE is talking about and following, I like to get on Twitter to follow what people are saying. I follow certain media outlets and news hosts, comedians, my brother, and just some twitter users whom I have found via Twitter.

What makes this thing so unusual for me is that last week when I went on to Twitter to login and post an update was the first time (that I know of) that Twitter and Facebook were in and out, on and off, due to a DDoS attack, them and a few other sites. I was able, finally, to login, and when I did I read a tweet regarding the Denial Of Service messages. Facebook was down that same day. It really made me think, and really made real to me how we take these things for granted and how easily they can be attacked. It was, for lack of better words, an eery feeling, a vunerable feeling, and just wondering "what's next?" "What's the extent of the attack and damage?" It turned out to be something that quickly subsided, but I am glad to have experienced what I did, just because it's a lesson-learning moment...that this Internet and alllllllll it holds, seems so permanent, the ties to people online so close...and how, with the evil doing of others with bad intentions it can all be altered.

My Twitter ID is: Lizees

The last time I heard of Twitter. Everywhere! We use it at work to update students on things. I use it to talk/goof off with my brother occasionally during the day. I have use and do use hashtags to locate things and see what's out there regarding certain things, people, etc. At work we view TED talks once a week, and even in some of the TED talks Twitter is mentioned. I don't know how long it will last, what all it may eventually do, and when it will one day become yesterday's news, but it is here now and seems to be growing in popularity. It even has it's own jargon and terms, which are tongue twisters and quite funny.

It's not my favorite of the things, but it's not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment